ENGINE DIVISION SERVICE MANUAL
NOTE: Do not install screw and washer that secures
the fuel line bracket to the right cylinder head cover
at this time. However, insure that cable support
brackets are installed.
34. Install engine oil level gauge assembly.
35. Install the spark plugs in the cylinder head and tighten to
specified torque. See "Torque Chart."
36. Position left exhaust manifold and gasket to cylinder head
and install bolts and lock tab washers. Tighten to
specified torque. See "Torque Chart." Bend lock tabs
against bolt head.
37. Repeat Step 36 for installation of the opposite exhaust
manifold with gasket and manifold heat shroud.
38. Install air manifold check valves in their respective
39. Install thermostat in crankcase and place engine water
outlet gasket on crankcase, Figure 152. Then secure
engine water outlet to crankcase with two bolts and
lockwashers according to specified torque. See "Torque
Fig. 152 Exploded View of Thermostat, Gasket and
Engine Water Outlet
1. Engine water outlet
40. Install water temperature sender in top front of crankcase.
Refer to Figure 34 in "Engine Disassembly."
41. Install low temperature vacuum control valve, exhaust
gas recirculating valve and gasket, if so equipped.
NOTE: If not equipped with these valves, install cover
plate and gasket on intake manifold and plug from
crankcase if removed.
42. Install the ignition coil and bracket on the mounting boss
provided on the intake manifold securing the bracket with
bolts and lockwashers.
43. Install carburetor return spring bracket on intake manifold
with bolt and flatwasher. Refer to Figure 29 in "Engine
44. Install carburetor with two gaskets and spacer plate over
studs in intake manifold. Secure with nuts and washers.
Attach return spring between carburetor and bracket
installed in Step 43.
45. Install the distributor assembly with clamp, hold-down
bolt, lockwasher and "O"-ring in crankcase.
46. Install vacuum line and governor line from the distributor
to the carburetor connections.
NOTE: Insure governor line is sealed at both
47. Install all cable brackets for high tension lines.
48. Install distributor cap and thread the cables through the
cable support brackets to their respective spark plugs.
Connect the high tension cable from the distributor to the
49. Install fuel pump with gasket to the crankcase with two
bolts and hardened washers.
NOTE: When installing the fuel pump mounting bolts,
it is necessary to tighten the bolts evenly. If they are
not installed evenly the operating arm on the fuel
pump will not be in correct position with the fuel
pump cam on camshaft.
CGES-210 Page 62
PRINTED IN UNITED STATES OF AMERICA