6-24. TRANSFER CASE ASSEMBLY REPAIR. (Continued)
Install housing onto output shaft assembly,
install spacer (9) and speedometer gear (24)
d. Transfer Case Assembly.
then install bearing (23).
(1) Install two rows of needle bearings (14 and 16)
(7) Install rear bearing retainer and seal (4).
(32 each) separated by a spacer (15) into the
output low gear.
Use sufficient grease
Install bearing retainer assembly (4) onto
(Appendix D, Item 15) to retain needles.
housing with one or two gaskets (25)
depending on clearance. Torque bolts to 30 ft-
(2) Install thrust washer (17) onto rear output shaft
lbs (40 NĚ ).
(8) tang down in clutch gear groove. Install
output low gear (13) onto shaft (8) with clutch
Install yoke (7), washer (6) and lock nut (1)
teeth facing down.
Install thrust washer (12) over gear with tab
(10) Position range rail in "high" and install output
pointing up and away from gear. Install washer
shaft and retainer assembly on transfer case (5).
pin (11) and also large thrust washer (10) over
Torque housing bolts to 30 ft-lbs (40 NĚ ).
shaft and pin. Rotate washer until tab fits into
slot approximately 90░degrees away from pin.
(11) Install PTO cover and gasket (25). Torque bolts
Finally, install snap ring (12) using snap ring
(2) to 15 ft-lbs (20 NĚ ).
pliers and check end play which should be
within 0.002 to 0.027 inch.
(12) Install and seal cup plugs at rail pin holes.
Grease pilot bore on rear output shaft using
(13) Install drain and filler plugs and torque to 30 ft-
grease (Appendix D, Item 15) and install
lbs (40 NĚ ).
needle bearings (18). Install thrust washer (19)
and new snap ring (20) in bore.
(14) Install shift rail cross link (61), clevis pins (60)
and lock pins (63).
(5) Clean, grease (Appendix D, Item 15) and install
new bearing (23) in retainer housing (21), using
(15) Install transfer case (paragraph 4-200).