6-24. TRANSFER CASE ASSEMBLY REPAIR. (Continued)
Install idler gear assembly (71) with dummy
shaft into case (5) through front output bore
(7) Install sliding clutch (59) onto fork (58) place
large end first.
over input shaft (8) in case. Position to receive
range rail and push rail through to neutral
(4) Install idler shaft (68) from large bore side and
drive through using a soft hammer.
(8) Install new lock pins through holes at top of case
(5) Install washer (65) and new locknut (64). Check
and drive them into the forks. Tip case on PTO
for end play and free rotation. Torque nut to
opening when installing range rail lock pin.
150 ft-lbs (202 NĚ ).
c. Front Output Shaft and Gear Assembly.
(6) Install idler shaft cover (66) and gasket (67).
Torque idler shaft cover bolts to 20 ft-lbs (27
Install two rows of needle bearings (46), (32
NĚ ). Flat on cover must be located adjacent
each) separated by a spacer (47) in the front
to front output shaft rear cover (36).
low output gear (44) and retain with a sufficient
amount of grease (Appendix D, Item 15).
b. Shift Rail and Fork Assembly.
(2) Place front output shaft (35) in soft jawed vise,
(1) Press the two rail seals (76) into the case (5).
spline end down. Install front low gear (45)
Seals should be installed with metal lip
over shaft with clutch gear facing down and
install thrust washer pin (44), thrust washer (43)
and new snap ring (42) using snap ring pliers.
(2) Install interlock pins (63) through large bore or
Position the snap ring so that the opening is
opposite the pin.
(3) Start front output drive shift rail (53) into case
Position front wheel hi-gear (38) and washer
(5) from back, slotted end first, with poppet
(39) in case. Install synchronizer (37) in the shift
fork (57) then put fork and rail in the front wheel
drive (4-H) position with the clutch teeth in mesh
(4) Install shift fork (57) (long end inward) into rail,
with the teeth of the front wheel hi-gear.
push rail through to neutral position.
Line up washer (39) high gear (38) and
(5) Install input shaft bearing (72) and shaft (68)
synchronizer (37) with bearing bore. Insert
into case (5).
front output shaft (35) and low gear assembly
through the high gear assembly.
(6) Start range rail (52) into case (5) from front, with
poppet notches up.