6-19. TRANSMISSION REPAIR. (Continued)
b. Countergear Assembly.
Using 2nd speed bushing installer push
down on snap ring (41) until it engages
groove on shaft (24).
(1) Position 3rd speed countergear (45) and shaft
on arbor press and press gear onto shaft.
(c) Carefully expand snap ring (41) with snap
Install gear mating machined surface with snap
ring pliers until it just slides onto splines.
ring toward the front.
(d) Push ring down shaft until it engages groove
(2) Install spacer (44).
(5) Position clutch countergear (17) and spacer (40)
(3) Press front gear (18) on countershaft (24) and
on shaft (21) and press countergear onto shaft
install snap ring (48) and thrust washer (42).
against snap ring using 2nd speed bushing
(4) Install new clutch countergear rear retaining ring
using snap ring installer and 2nd speed bushing
installer and snap ring pliers.
Do not overstress snap ring or
damage may result. Ring should
be tight in groove with no side
(a) Install snap ring installer on end of shaft and
position snap ring (41) on tool.
(6) Install clutch countergear thrust washer (39) and
front retaining ring (38) using snap ring installer
and 2nd speed bushing installer.