5-10. STARTER REPAIR. (Continued)
d. Replace Brush Holder.
If necessary to replace brush holder parts,
proceed as follows:
(1) Remove brush holder pivot pin (1) which
positions one insulated (2) and one
grounded brush (3).
(2) Remove brush spring (4).
(3) Replace brushes as necessary.
a. Testing Shunt Coil For Open.
Specification P-D-680, is both toxic
Keep off skin.
Use only in a well-ventilated area
and avoid prolonged breathing of
Keep away from open
(1) Clean all starting motor parts with solvent
(Appendix D, Item 44).
(2) Inspect armature commutator, shaft and
bushings, overrunning clutch pinion,
brushes and springs for discoloration,
damage or wear. Replace as required.
(4) Inspect armature commutator.
(3) Check fit of armature shaft in bushing in
commutator is rough, it should be turned
drive housing. Shaft should fit snugly in
Inspect the points where the
the bushing. If the bushing is worn, it
armature conductors join the commutator
should be replaced.
bars to make sure they have a good
connection. A burned commutator bar is
usually evidence of a poor connection.