5-6. RADIATOR REPAIR. (Continued)
If the header or a tube near the
(6) Scrub the repair area with a cotton swab
header requires a repair, the side
until a fresh swab stays clean. The clear,
tank does not have to be removed.
yellow-brown coating does not have to be
A damp cloth can be placed
against the side tank where the
repair has to be made. The side
(7) Heat the repair area with a heat gun or by
tank can also be submerged in a
moving the torch in a circular pattern.
tank of water up to the header.
b. General Core Repair.
(8) Withdraw the torch and rub the adhesive
stick on the repair area. The adhesive will
flow at a temperature of 50° F
(260°C). If the stick doesn't start to melt,
Preparation of the surface in the
remove it and reapply the heat. Do not
area cannot be overemphasized.
heat the stick directly with a flame. High
If the leak area surface is not
heat will burn and char the adhesive.
clean, none of the repair materials
will stick to the surface.
(9) Continue heating until the adhesive flows
(1) Position the core so the repair area is
and wets the entire repair area and fills
the joint. If a hole is in the center of a
tube, heat the tube and let the hot surface
melt and pull in the adhesive. The force
(2) Apply a wet cloth if you are working near
of the flame or heat gun will also tend to
the plastic tanks or the joints between the
guide the adhesive toward the hole. For
core tubes and header; or submerge the
leaks between a tube and header, flow the
tank in water.
adhesive completely around the tube and
header joint with the tank installed.
(3) Heat the repair area slightly with a small
torch or heat gun to be sure it is dry.
(10) Heat the repair area until the adhesive is
bubble-free and smooth, with a light
yellow color. Curing is not required.
(4) Brush the area to be repaired with the
small steel brush that is supplied in the kit
and blow dust away from the repair area.
(11) Test the radiator for leaks when cool. If
the repair area still leaks, reheat it gently
to dry it. Heat and reflow the adhesive or
(5) Open the tube of primer, using the
apply more as necessary to repair the
spurred cap or a pin, and apply primer to
the repair area only. Use of the primer
produces a stronger repair.