PUMP DRIVE AND PTO - Continued
(30) Install capscrews (1) through the housing halves. Apply threadlock liquid (item 13, Appendix B) to the
threads. Install nuts (2) and torque evenly. Tighten 5/16 - 18 capscrews to 15 ft lb (22 Nm). Tighten 3/8 - 16
capscrews to 28 ft lb (38 Nm).
(31) Attach one open cap (8) and one closed cap (7) to the upper housing half using capscrews (18) Be sure to
install three gaskets (10) under each cap.
(32) Torque capscrews (18) evenly to 28 ft lb (38 Nm). While tightening the capscrews, rotate the respective shaft
and stop tightening at the first sign of binding or resistance.
Shaft end play is adjusted by adding or deleting cap gaskets (10) until the shaft rotates freely, with no end
play. The gears will remain closer to center if the number of gaskets on each cap does not vary by more
(33) Adjust high speed shaft bearing clearance. If end play is evident remove one gasket at a time and repeat
step 32. If shaft Is binding, add one gasket at a time and repeat step 32.
(34) When shaft end play Is adjusted and shaft rotates freely, remove four capscrews (18) from open cap (8).
(35) Clean capscrews (18) and housing threaded holes and apply threadlock liquid (item 13, Appendix B) to
capscrews (18). Reinstall in housing and evenly torque capscrews (18) to 28 ft lb (38 Nm). Rotate
respective shaft while tightening to ensure bearings do not bind.
(36) Remove capscrews (18) from closed cap (7) then repeat step 35 preceding.
(37) Adjust low speed shaft bearing clearance similar to steps 33 thru 36 preceding.
(38) Cover the high speed shaft keyway using cellophane tape to avoid seal damage during installation.
(39) Slide seal (9) onto shaft. Make sure the
spring loaded lip of the seal is facing the
(40) Using a soft faced hammer, carefully tap
seal (9) into open cap (8). Stagger the
tapping over the circumference to ensure
seal is installed evenly.
(41) Repeat step 38 thru 40 to install the low
speed shaft seal.
(42) Apply pipe sealant (Item 22, Appendix B) to
the fill tube, vent, and drain plug and install.
(43) Install gearbox on truck as detailed in TM 5-
2-91 ( 2-92 Blank)