PUMP DRIVE AND PTO - Continued
Reducer Gear To Pump Drive Shaft - Continued
Using dry cleaning solvent (item 10, Appendix B), wash universal joint cross (7) and bearing caps (9).
Death or serious injury could occur if compressed
air is directed against the skin. Do not use
compressed air for cleaning or drying unless the
pressure is/has been reduced to 30 psi (2.11
kg/cm2) or less. When working with compressed
air always use chip guards, eye protection and
other personal protective equipment.
(17) Dry components using compressed air. Blow
out grease passages in the cross (7).
(18) Apply a small amount of grease (Item 16,
Appendix B) to each bearing cap needle
(19) Install and test bearing cap (9) on cross (7) journals as shown. The movement must be smooth and
(20) If any one component fails testing, the complete universal joint must be replaced.
Universal joint installation procedures will be similar for both the slip joint yoke (1) or the tight end yoke
(2) except the tight end yoke also has a flanged yoke. This means that for tight end universal joint
installation the following procedure will have to be carried out twice.
(21) Tilt the cross (7) and install one journal into slip joint yoke hole.
(22) Allow one journal of the cross (7) to protrude
through the yoke hole. Install a bearing cap
(9) onto the protruding cross journal and
press in handtight.
(23) Use shop vise as a press. Place the slip joint
yoke (1) between the vise jaws and begin to
close the vise. Continue to tighten the vise
until the bearing cap (9) is flush with the
(24) Allow the opposite arm of the cross (7) to
protrude through the other slip joint yoke
hole. Install a bearing cap (9) onto the