PUMP DRIVE AND PTO - Continued
There are a number of parts on the idler shaft that may fall out once the idler shaft is removed. Position PTO
so parts do not fall out.
Supporting to PTO housing (1), oil supply end up, on a hydraulic press bed, press the idler shaft (7) from
the housing using a ram adapter about 7/8 X 7.5 in. Do not allow idler shaft to drop to the ground
because damage to the idler shaft may occur.
Remove ram adapter from PTO housing (1).
Remove cluster gear (6) and place on clean workbench. During removal, hold the cluster gear in a
horizontal position so that the needle bearings (9) and spacer (8) do not fall out.
Remove needle bearings (9) and spacer (8) from cluster gear (6).
Remove thrust race (12), needle bearing spacers (11) and thrust bearing (10) from housing (or bench
Remove the O-ring (45) from the idler shaft (7) and discard O-ring. Remove the O-ring (48) from the
PTO housing (1) and discard O-ring.
Remove nut (13), companion flange (14) and spacer (16) from the drive shaft (30). A mechanical puller
may be used to remove companion flange.
(10) Remove bearing cover (18) and gasket (19) by removing four capscrews (17).
(11) Remove seal (15) from bearing cover (18) and discard seal.
(12) Remove bearing cap (29) and gasket (19) by removing four capscrews (17).
(13) Remove the retaining ring (26), back-up plate (27), and seal (28) from the bearing cap (29).
(14) Attach the yoke of a puller to the oil supply end of PTO housing. Tighten pressure screw into oil supply
end of drive shaft (30). Continue to tighten pressure screw until bearing (20) is pushed from PTO
housing via the drive shaft. Remove mechanical puller from oil supply end of PTO housing. Using an
outside three jaw puller, remove bearing (20) from shaft (30). Make sure the jaws of the puller contact
the inner race of the bearing..
(15) Remove bearing (25) using an inside three jaw puller on a slide hammer. Make sure the jaws of the
puller are contacting the outer race of the bearing.
(16) Remove lock ring (44) from drive shaft (30) and pull internal drive gear (43) from drive shaft.
(17) Remove lock ring (42) and key (31) from drive shaft (30).
(18) Remove lock ring (21) from spider gear assembly (24) (19) Position PTO housing (1) so that spider
gear assembly (24) is resting internally on the companion flange end of PTO housing.