ENGINE - Continued
Cylinder Block - Continued
(4) On a new service block, remove the 2 1/2
in. plug in the rear core hole in the bottom
of the air box and the 2 1/4 In. plug in the
top deck of the block in front of the blower
(5) Install the water outlet elbow and gasket in
the opening In the top deck of the block.
(6) Drive aftercooler water inlet adapter in place
using tool J28711.
(7) Using grease (item 16, Appendix B) to hold
gasket in place, install new front plate
gasket in position on block.
Be sure to install the small round gasket
in the corner at front end of cylinder
(8) Attach front end plate (2) to cylinder block
(9) Install right bank camshaft front bearing (1)
through the small bearing bore in the end
plate (2) and into the bore of block to
accurately aline the end plate with cylinder
The camshaft bearing mount holes in
end plates are not all the same size.
The smaller hole is accurately machined
purposes and is always located on the
right side of the engine (as viewed from
(10) With bearing in place, tighten 1/2 in. bolts
to 75 ft lb (102 Nm) and 3/8 in. bolts to 35
ft lb (47 Nm).
(11) Remove camshaft bearing (1).
(12) Using grease (item 16, Appendix B) to hold rear plate gasket in place. Use a retaining compound (item 23,
Appendix B) at the upper right rear of the block face and corresponding area of rear end plate. Position rear
plate in place and install mounting bolts fingertight.
(13) Install right bank camshaft rear bearing through the small bearing bore in the end plate and into the bore of
block to accurately aline the end plate with the cylinder block.