ENGINE - Continued
Cylinder Block Cleaning and Inspection
(1) Remove all gasket material from cylinder block.
(2) Remove all oil gallery and core hole plugs, except cup plugs, to allow cleaning solution to contact the inside of
the oil and water passages.
(3) If core hole plugs are difficult to remove, hold a 3/4 in. drift against the plug and give it a few sharp blows with
a hammer. Using 1/2 in. flex handle placed into countersunk hole of plug, turn plug slightly in tightening
direction. Turn handle and plug in opposite direction to remove plugs.
Alkaline solution is toxic to skin, eyes, and respiratory tract. Skin and eye protection required. Avoid
repeated or prolonged contact. Good general ventilation normally adequate.
(4) Submerge block in tank, with agitating tray, of hot alkaline solution to remove grease
Steam or vapor pressure cleaning creates hazardous noise levels and severe burn potentials. Eye, skin,
and ear protection are required.
(5) Steam clean block after hot bath to remove the alkaline solution and any remaining sludge in block.