ENGINE - Continued
Turbocharger - Continued
Death or serious injury could occur if compressed air is directed against the skin. Do not use compressed air for
cleaning or drying unless the pressure is/has been reduced to 30 psi (2.11 kg/cm2) or less. When working with
compressed air always use chip guards, eye protection and other personal protective equipment.
(17) Clean all the Internal cavities and oil passages in center housing thoroughly with compressed air.
(18) Clean the oil passage in the backplate assembly and thrust collar with compressed air.
(19) Remove oil inlet line from engine and thoroughly clean. Replace line if dented or crimped restricting oil
(20) Inspect all parts for signs of damage, corrosion, or deterioration. Check for nicked, crossed, or stripped
(21) Check the turbine wheel shroud and turbine wheel assembly for signs of rubbing. Inspect shaft to
bearing area contact for excessive wear, discoloration, scoring, burnt carbon deposits, bearing seizure,
or aluminum transfer deposits from bearing to shaft.
(22) Check compressor wheel for signs of rubbing or damaged fins. Wheel must be free of foreign material.
(23) Inspect seal ring surfaces of center housing and backplate assembly. If signs of scoring or excessive
wear are detected, replace worn part(s). During inspection of rotating group, if it is determined that
numerous individual parts are required to repair turbocharger, it is advisable to repair turbocharger by
replacing center housing assembly. Center housing assembly consists of housing, center bearings,
thrust collar, seal rings, turbine wheel assembly, compressor wheel, and locknut.
(24) It is recommended that the seal ring, piston rings, thrust bearings, bearing washers, snap rings, lock
plates, and bolts be replaced whenever the turbine is repaired. The backplate must be replaced if the
thrust bearing is excessively worn.
(25) Check each part prior to installation to ensure cleanliness.
(26) Install snap ring (26), washer (25), bearing (24), and snap ring (23) in turbine end of center housing.
(27) Install snap ring (22), bearing washer (21), and bearing (20) in the compressor end of center housing.
Before installing the piston rings, fill the grooves with silicone grease (item 27, Appendix B).
(28) Lubricate new bearings with clean engine oil (item 17, Appendix B).