ENGINE - Continued
Turbocharger - Continued
Remove Turbocharger from engine and clean.
Mark related positions of the compressor housing (2), center housing (3), and turbine housing (6) with a
punch prior to disassembly to assure reassembly in the same relative positions.
(3) Remove V band couplings (1 and 4) securing the compressor housing (2) to backplate assembly (14)
and securing the turbine housing (6) to the center housing (3).
Remove compressor housing (2) and turbine housing (6) from center housing (3).
Position center housing (3) in holding fixture or suitable socket clamped in a vise. Place the turbine
wheel shoulder hub in socket with the center housing upright. Remove wheel nut (7) securing
compressor wheel (8) to turbine shaft assembly (9).
Lift or press the compressor wheel (8) from turbine shaft assembly (9).
Remove turbine shaft assembly (9) from center housing (3). The wheel shroud (10) will fall free when
the turbine shaft assembly is removed.
Remove and discard the turbine piston rings (11) from shaft assembly.
Remove four bolts (12) attaching the backplate assembly to the center housing. Retain locking tabs
(10) Remove and discard the seal ring (15) from groove in the center housing.
(11) Remove the thrust spacer (16) from backplate (14). Discard piston rings (17) from spacer.
(12) Remove thrust collar (18) thrust bearing (19), bearing (20), washer (21), and snap ring (22) from center
(13) Remove snap ring (23), bearing (24), washer (25), and snap ring (26) from opposite end of center
(14) Inspect all parts for signs of burning, rubbing or other damage.
Never use a caustic cleaning solution for cleaning as this will damage certain parts. Use the cleaning
solution in an open or well ventilated area. Avoid breathing the fumes to avoid the possible toxic effect of
the cleaning solvent. Keep away from open flames to avoid the possibility of a fire. Do not use a wire brush
or a steel blade scraper to clean the parts.
(15) Soak all parts in a non-caustic cleaning solvent (item 10, Appendix B). Use a stiff bristle brush to
remove all dirt and carbon deposits. Dry all the parts thoroughly.
(16) Make sure that both wheels are thoroughly clean. Deposits left on the wheels will affect the balance of
the rotating assembly.