ENGINE - Continued
Engine - Continued
(39) Remove the pipe plug from the engine main oil gallery and attach the pre-lubricator hose.
(40) Remove the valve rocker covers and, using a positive displacement pump set at 25 35 psi (172 241
kPa), pump in the recommended grade of engine lubricating oil until it is observed flowing from the
(41) Disconnect the oil supply line at the turbocharger bearing center housing and fill the bearing
housing cavities with approximately one pint of the recommended grade of clean engine oil. Turn
the rotating assemblies by hand to coat all internal surfaces with oil.
(42) Reinstall the turbocharger oil supply line.
(43) Disconnect the pre-lubricator hose, plug the main oil gallery hole and replace all components
(44) Check crankcase oil level. Add oil until level is at the "full" mark on dipstick. Do not overfill.
(45) Reconnect batteries as detailed in TM 5-4210-220-12.
(46) Turn battery switch to BOTH.
(47) Purge fuel system, by pressing PRIME switch in cab.
(48) Remove inlet fuel line to mechanical gear fuel pump on top front right side of engine. Leave line
open till fuel supply is continuous with no air bubbles. Tighten fuel line.
(49) Release PRIME pushbutton in cab.
(50) Open all valves in engine compartment. Check cab heater is set to HOT.
(51) Start APU as detailed in TM 5-4210-220-12 to circulate water in winterization system. Check all
hoses, valves, and heaters for leaks.
(52) Loosen clamp on top circulation hose of pump body heater. While hose is loose on heater, purge
air from system. Run APU for several minutes.
(53) Shutdown APU as detailed in TM 5-4210-220-12. Check coolant level in main engine radiator.
Refill with coolant as required and secure the cap.
(54) Tighten/remake any connections as required.
(55) Repeat purge cycle again using the APU steps 51 thru 53.
(56) Final engine pre-start check list.
(a) Transmission fluid level
(b) Power steering fluid level
(c) Fuel system purged to mechanical fuel pump
(d) Engine oil level
(e) Coolant fluid level
(f) Air intake properly clamped
(g) Electrical system completely connected
(h) Governor controls connected and adjusted