ENGINE - Continued
Engine - Continued
If engine is being replaced, remove exhaust manifolds, turbocharger, starter motor, air compressor and
alternator from new engine prior to installation.
(1) If engine being installed into truck is a new replacement engine transfer all senders, sensors and
coolant taps and fittings from original block to replacement block. Clean all threads and coat with
pipe sealant (item 22, Appendix B) prior to installation. If original engine, replace any electrical
senders removed during overhaul. Install coolant valves and fittings coating with pipe sealant (item
22, Appendix B) prior to installation.
Install auxiliary mounting brackets to rear engine pad mount areas (10, Appendix D) Tighten six
mounting bolts to 90 ft lb (122 Nm). Install front engine mount brackets. Tighten to 90 ft lb (122 Nm).
Inspect vibration isolator on front engine mount. Replace as required.
Install lifting sling to the three engine lift brackets. Attach suitable hoist to sling. Remove engine from
Raise engine high enough to clear cab, center with cab opening and lower engine into engine
Position engine in engine compartment in line with front engine cross member. Place heavy washer
on top of isolators. Lower engine close to isolators. Aline and install two mounting bolts.
Continue to lower engine until auxiliary rear mount brackets are resting on main frame side members
and front mount brackets are resting on front engine cross member. Install snubbing washers and
new 5/8 locknuts to front mount bolts. Do not tighten to full torque at this time.
Remove hoist and sling from engine lift brackets.
Attach transmission to engine and frame as detailed in TM 5-4210-220-12.
(10) Tighten front engine mount locknuts to 180 ft lb (245 Nm).
(11) Install radiator as detailed in TM 5-4210-220-12.
(12) Install fan assembly as detailed in TM 5-4210-220-12.
(13) Install throttle, fuel shutdown and fire pump governor as detailed in para. 2-20.12.
(14) Install starter motor as detailed in TM 5-4210-220-12.
(15) Install air compressor and air lines as detailed in TM 5-4210-220-12.
(16) Install turbocharger as detailed in para. 3-8.2.