TRANSMISSION - Continued
If the fourth-clutch housing is replaced, selection of a proper piston is imperative before seal ring
installation or clutch plate clearance check is done. If the fourth-clutch housing is not replaced and a new
piston is required, make sure the identification letter (M, S, or T) stamped on the new piston is Identical to
that on the old piston.
(11) Place fourth-clutch housing assembly (2) on the work table, flat (rear) side downward.
(12) Before continuing the assembly, the clutch clearance must be established.
(13) Install fourth-clutch piston (11) into the clutch housing. Do not install a seal ring into the fourth-clutch housing
or on piston at this time.
(14) Beginning with an external-tanged plate, alternately install five external-tanged plates (6) and five internal-
splined plates (7) into the fourth-clutch housing (2).
(15) Install the backplate (5) and snap ring (4).
(16) Hold the backplate firmly against the snap
ring. Insert gage J24192 and check the
clearance at the location shown. When
clearance is satisfactory, the thinner step of
the gage will enter between the backplate
and clutch plates; the thicker step will not.
The prescribed clearance is 0.080 - 0.120
in. (2.03 - 3.05 mm).
(17) Remove the snap ring, backplate, clutch
plates and piston from the clutch housing.
When clutch plates are properly selected
for proper clearance, keep the clutch plates
in a pack.
(18) Lubricate with petroleum jelly (item 21,
Appendix B) and install a new teflon seal
ring (13) into the clutch housing. Be sure
the lip of the seal ring is facing the bottom
of the piston cavity.
(19) Place fourth-clutch piston (11) on the work
table, spring bosses side up. Lubricate with
transmission fluid (item 9, Appendix B) and
downward into the groove on the outside
circumference of the piston. A seal ring for
the inside groove in piston (11) is not
(20) Centrally locate the piston in the housing
bore over protector J24216-1. Place the
piston and housing in an arbor press and
apply pressure evenly until the piston is