TRANSMISSION - Continued
Fourth Clutch Overhaul
(1) Remove the the bearing race (1) from the front hub of the fourth-clutch housing (2).
(2) Remove the bearing race (3) from the rear hub of the fourth-clutch housing (2).
(3) Place the fourth-clutch assembly, snap ring up, on the work table.
(4) Remove the large snap ring (4) and the backplate (5).
(5) Remove five external-tanged clutch plates
(6) and five internal-splined clutch plates
(6) Using J24204-2 and J24204-3 compress
the spring retainer (8) until it is clear of the
snap ring (9). Remove the snap ring.
(7) Carefully release the pressure from the
spring retainer (8). Remove the retainer
and twenty piston return springs (10).
(8) Remove the piston (11) from the clutch
(9) Remove seal rings (12 and 13).
(10) Check the eight steel balls (14) in fourth-clutch housing (2). Make sure they are securely staked in the
housing and are free to move without restriction.