TRANSMISSION - Continued
(43) Install twenty piston return springs (19) onto the spring guide bosses of piston (20). Place spring retainer (17)
on top of the twenty springs, recessed side (outer lip) of the retainer facing down.
(44) Compress spring retainer (17) until the snap ring groove on the clutch housing hub is exposed. Install the
snap ring into the groove.
(45) Install the clutch plate pack. Beginning with an external-tanged plate, alternately install five external-tanged
(11) and five internal-splined plates (12), into the forward-clutch housing (16).
(46) Lubricate with petroleum jelly (item 21, Appendix B) and install the thrust bearing race (15) onto the inner hub
of forward clutch housing (16).
(47) Lubricate with petroleum jelly (item 21, Appendix B) and install the bearing race (13) and needle bearing (14)
onto the inner hub of the forward clutch hub.
(48) Install the forward clutch hub (8), outer splines first, into the forward clutch housing (16)
(49) Install fourth-clutch driving hub (10) and retain it with snap ring (9).
(50) Lubricate and install two scarf cut seal rings (3). Install hook-type seal ring (1) on the front of the turbine
shaft. Install thrust bearing race (2), cupped side first, onto the front of the forward clutch housing.
(51) Lubricate with petroleum jelly (item 21, Appendix B) and install bearing race (6), flat side first and needle
bearing (7) onto the rear of forward clutch hub (8).