TRANSMISSION - Continued
(15) Place the stator assembly on base plate J29121-2. Be sure the rivet heads rest on the base plate, between
clearance holes. Install top plate J29121-4, and the 5/8 11 X 3 1/4 retaining bolt. Strike the top plate with a
rubber mallet to seat components. Tighten retainer bolt to 60 ft lb (81 Nm).
(16) Place the stator assembly on fixture J25587-1. Install stake tool J29121-1 into the fixture head of J25587-1
and tighten the thumb screw fingertight.
(17) Apply approximately 8000 lb (3629 kg) load to swage each rivet head. Swage the second rivet 180 deg.
from the first. Locate the third rivet, 90 deg. from the second, etc., until all rivets are swaged.
(18) Remove the top and bottom plate retaining bolt from stator assembly. Remove the two plates.
(19) Place stator assembly on work table, rear
side upward. Install thrust bearing race into
(20) Coat the pockets of stator assembly,
stator springs and rollers with petroleum
jelly (item 21, Appendix B).
(21) Install stator roller holder J24218-2, into the
stator against the thrust bearing race
(22) Install ten freewheel roller springs into the
stator cam pockets. The springs must be
positioned as shown with the convolutes
(bends) against the stator thrust washers.
The ends of the spring can be up or down
against the roller.
(23) Install ten freewheel rollers into small end of
ca m pockets.
(24) Install thrust bearing onto the freewheel
(25) Start the freewheel roller race into the stator
until the thrust bearing is near the roller
holder. Rotate the race clockwise to install
(26) Remove the roller holder by pulling on the
thong attached to It. Push the roller race
inward (rotating it clockwise) until the thrust
counterclockwise to lock in place. Position
the stator assembly with its roller race
upward until ready for installation Cover
or wrap the assembly to keep out dust and