TRANSMISSION - Continued
Place the stator assembly in a drill press, formed rivet side up.
Using a 3/8 in. drill, aline and drill the rivet, removing the formed head.
Place base plate J29121-2, under the stator
assembly. Be sure the holes in the base
plate are under the rivet heads. Place top
plate J29121-4 on top of the
Install bolt to hold the two plates together.
Tighten the bolt to 60 ft lb (81 Nm).
Place fixture stand J25587-1 on a hydraulic
press. Install rivet remover pin J29121-3
into fixture J25587-1 head. Tighten the tool
retainer thumb screw.
Place the stator assembly, with base and
top plates, onto the fixture stands, drilled
rivet side up.
Aline the rivet remover pin with the drilled rivet and press the rivet from the stator assembly. Repeat process
for each rivet.
(10) Remove the retaining bolt and top plate. Separate thrust washer (9), side plate washers (8 and 12), two cam
washers (13), and cam (10) from stator (11).
(11) Inspect the stator and cam for cracks, rivet holes for burrs or swelling. Deburr as required. If cam or stator is
cracked or distorted, replace the stator assembly.
(12) If the cam becomes separated from the
stator, install in the following manner.
Place the stator on a work table so that the
thick portion of the vanes is upward.
Temporarily place two rivets 180 deg. apart
with the headless ends up into the grooves
in the stator. Using the rivets for alinement,
install the cam so that the deep end of each
pocket is positioned as shown. Tap the
cam into place with a soft drift. Remove the
(13) Install cam washers (13), one on each side
of the stator. Install freewheel washer (8)
and thrust washer (9).
(14) Aline the rivet holes and insert ten new 1/4 X 2 5/8 in. rivets into the stator assembly (11) from the side plate
washer side and through the stator thrust washer.