TRANSMISSION - Continued
Lift off snap ring and remove the splined spacer Place tool J26598-A on a bench, face down, close the
jaws and remove the snap ring.
If special tool J26598-A is not available, remove the snap ring with snap ring pliers. Do not scrape the
ground sleeve splines during removal.
(13) Place puller sleeve J25007-4 onto the
converter ground sleeve.
(14) Insert the feet of leg and nut assemblies
J25007-2, between the balls of the bearing
assembly, spacing them 90 deg. apart.
(15) Rotate the legs to make the feet bear
against both the inner and outer bearing
(16) Install puller head tool J25007-3 onto the
legs, tightening the nuts evenly.
(17) Install center screw J8646-2 and tighten it by hand until it is centered on sleeve J25007-4. Hold the pump
assembly, and tighten the center screw until the pump assembly will lift off the ground sleeve.
(18) Position flywheel assembly, ring gear side down, on workbench.
(19) Using two pry bars, cushioned
prevent scratching the parts, remove
the torque converter turbine from the
(20) Remove ball bearing (1) from the flywheel
assembly (2), only if replacement Is
(21) Remove the lockup clutch backplate (3)
from the flywheel (2). Remove the keys (4)
from the flywheel bore.
(22) Remove the lockup clutch plate (5).
(23) Remove the lockup clutch piston (6).
Remove the seal ring (7) from the piston
outer groove. Remove the seal ring (8)
from the inner hub of the flywheel (2).
(24) If ring gear Is worn excessively, remove from flywheel.
(25) If the seal ring surface of the flywheel bore is worn beyond 1.007 in. (25.58 mm) diameter, rework is
necessary as detailed in c. following. Otherwise proceed to d. following