REAR AXLE - Continued
2-20.1 Power Divider (Transfer) Unit - Continued
(16) Using a dial indicator, check input shaft
end play as shown. End play should
be 0.003 to 0.007 in. (0.08 to 0.18
mm) when all new parts are used;
0.013 to 0.017 in. (0.33 to 0.43 mm)
when parts are reused.
(17) Calculate the thickness of the shims to
be added to or deleted from the shim
(18) Remove yoke (18) and cap (21).
Adjust shim pack as required by
calculation in previous step.
(19) Reinstall cap (21) and yoke (18) as
detailed in step 14 and 15 and check
end play as detailed in step 16.
Repeat steps until correct end play is
(20) When end play is correct, remove yoke
and install oil seal (26) using a suitable
arbor and a hammer. Be sure the
spring side of seal faces inward.
(21) Install yoke (18), washer (17), and nut
(16). Tighten nut firmly.
Output Shaft Installation
procedure if none of the parts making up
the output shaft assembly have been
Mount output shaft (9) in a press with
yoke splines facing down. Install gear
(32) on shaft with clutch teeth facing
Install bearing cone (33). Be sure
bearing cone seats completely against
shoulder on output shaft. To prevent
bearing damage, use an arbor that
only contacts the bearing race.
Check that gear (32) can rotate freely
on output shaft. Place sliding clutch (30) with clutch
teeth facing gear (32) on the other end of the shaft.