REAR AXLE - Continued
(10) Install power divider cover (12) on differential carrier. Make sure that pinion shaft support bearing slips
into cup in cover (12).
(11) Fasten cover (12) to differential carrier using nine capscrews (11) and lockwashers. Tighten capscrews
to 125 ft lb (170 Nm).
(12) Apply silicone sealant (item 28, Appendix B) to covers (38 and 40), and install on power divider cover
(12) using capscrews (37) and (39). Tighten capscrews to 55 ft lb (75 Nm).
To ensure proper input shaft end play,
necessary shimming of cover (21) must
be calculated and checked. To do this
carry out steps 13 thru 19. Repeat steps
(13) Place cap (21) on power divider cover
(12). Hold cap in position by hand
between cap and cover using a feeler
gage as shown. The measured
clearance plus 0.005 in. (0.13 mm)
equals the thickness of the initial shim
(14) Install cap (21) with a shim pack (22)
of the calculated thickness. Fasten
cap using five capscrews (19) and
lockwashers. Tighten capscrews to
85 ft lb (115 Nm).
(15) Install yoke (18), washer (17), and nut
(16). Tighten nut snugly. Tap lightly
on the end of input shaft (23) to seat