ENGINE - Continued
(33) Place a 7/16 in. inside diameter sleeve over the end of the shaft and against the fork (18) and press the
fork tight against the shaft spacer (16).
(34) Lubricate the governor operating shaft lever lower bearing (20) with engine oil (item 17, Appendix B).
(35) Start the bearing (20), number side out, in the governor housing recess and over the end of shaft (17).
(36) Using the same arrangement as in step 32 and 33, place the 7/16 in. sleeve on the inner race of bearing
(20) and press the bearing onto the shaft until it seats on the shoulder in the housing
(37) Install screw (8), washer, and lockwasher (9) to secure the upper bearing (15) In the housing.
(38) Apply a thin coat of pipe sealant (item 22, Appendix B) around the edge of a new expansion plug (21).
Place the plug concave side up in the housing and tap the center of the plug with a hammer to secure in
(39) Place the differential lever (5) over the pivot pin (10) and secure with plain washer (7) and spring retainer
(6). Be sure the lever has pin (4) facing up.
(40) If removed, install new needle bearings (28 and 35) in the control link operating lever (29). Lubricate
both bearings with engine oil (item 17, Appendix B). Using a press and tool J8985, press the bearing
into place, number side out, until the bearing top face is flush with the boss. Repeat for the second
(41) Lubricate the bearings with grease (item 16, Appendix B) and place the operating lever (29) in position
between the two bosses inside the governor housing. Insert a flat washer on each side of the lever and
install the shaft (26) with the slot in the side at one end of the shaft up.
(42) Aline the slot in the operating lever shaft (26) with the lock clip screw hole in the boss next to the shaft.
Install the lock clip (31), lockwasher and screw (32) and tighten securely.
(43) Place one end of the connecting link (3) over the differential lever pin (4) and secure in place with
washer (2) and retainer (1).
(44) Place the other end of the connecting link (3) on top of the control link (29) and install the connecting pin
(45) Install the governor weight shaft as detailed in Governor Weights and Bearing Repair preceding.
(46) Install governor on engine as detailed in INSTALLATION preceding.
2-263 (2-264 Blank)