ENGINE - Continued
Mechanical Governor - Continued
Support the governor on an arbor press with the drive shaft over a hole.
Push the shaft (8) via the bolt until it is free of the bearing (5).
Slide the governor riser thrust bearing (6) and riser (7) from the shaft (8).
(10) Using a suitable puller, pull bearing (5) out of the housing.
(11) Carefully maneuver the weight shaft (10) and attached weights out of the top of the housing.
(12) If replacement of individual weights is required, these can be removed via the retaining rings and shafts.
However, it is not advisable to replace individual components. Replace the shaft as an assembly (P/N
(13) Inspect all components for wear. For
bearing inspection, see para. 2-7.
(14) Replace any components failing inspection.
(15) Lubricate each bearing with engine oil (item
17, Appendix B).
(16) Slide the governor riser (7) on the weight
shaft (8) and against the fingers of the high
(17) Place the thrust bearing (6) over the weight
shaft with the bearing race having the
smaller inside diameter against the riser.
(18) Insert the weight carrier and shaft assembly
in the governor housing.
(19) Support the splined end of the shaft and the governor housing on an arbor press with the upper end of the
shaft under the ram of the press.
(20) Place bearing (5) in the governor housing, number side up. Start it straight on the end of the shaft (8).
(21) Place a sleeve with a 1/2 in. (13 mm) inside diameter cover the inner bearing race and press the bearing into
the housing and against the shoulder on the shaft.
(22) Place the lockwasher (4) on the end of shaft with the tang on the inner diameter of the washer in the notch in
the end of the shaft.
(23) Place the flat washer over the shaft and thread the bolt (3) onto the shaft.