ENGINE - Continued
(1) Clean water pump, if necessary with pressure hose to remove both internal and external dirt and grime.
(2) Position water pump drive gear in soft jawed vise.
(3) Using snap ring pliers, remove snap ring (1) retaining pump cover (2) to water pump housing. (3). Remove
pump cover. Do not remove seal ring (4) at this time.
(4) Remove impeller locknut (5) and washer (6).
(5) Using puller J24420-A, remove impeller (7) from shaft assembly (8).
(6) Place pump assembly on workbench with drive gear upwards. Turn pump drive gear (14) so one of the slots
in the drive gear is over the ends of bearing retaining ring (13).
(7) Insert pliers J4646 into slot and remove ring (13) from groove.
(8) Press shaft bearings and pump gear assembly out of pump body.
(9) Place gear (14) on bed of press with the shaft extending downward. Using a suitable sized arbor shaft, press
shaft (8) out of gear.
(10) Support shaft assembly on the inner race of the larger bearing (12) with threaded end down. Place flat stock
between hydraulic ram and shaft. Press pump shaft out of large bearing.
(11) Invert shaft and support it on the inner race of the small bearing (11). Press shaft (8) from bearing.
(12) Use channel lock pliers to grasp the metal flange around the upper portion of seal (9), and twist it to break the
seal and boot away from the outside case of the water seal.