ENGINE - Continued
(13) Install the spill deflector (18) over the barrel of the bushing (13).
(14) Place the check valve (14) centrally on top of the bushing
(15) Place the check valve cage (15) over the check valve (14) and against the bushing (13).
(16) Insert the spring seat (17) in the valve spring (16). Insert this assembly into the spring cap (18), spring
(17) Insert the needle valve (19), taper end down, into the spray tip (20).
(18) Place the spring assembly on ;op of the check valve cage, spring end down. Place the spray tip
assembly on top of the spring assembly; the quill end of the needle valve in the hole in the spring cage
(19) Lubricate the threads of the injector nut (23) with test oil J26400. Carefully lower the injector nut over the
injector assembly. Thread the nut onto the injector body by hand. Rotate the spray tip as the nut is
being threaded. Tighten nut by hand. When as tight as possible, the spray tip should be impossible to
turn by hand.
(20) Use socket J4983-01 and a torque wrench to tighten the injector nut to 75 ft lb (115 Nm).
(21) Check the area between nut and body. The seal must not be extruded out of the body; replace seal and
reassemble using a new nut (23).
(22) Slide the head of the plunger (5) into the follower (4).
(23) Invert the Injector in the holding fixture J22396.
(24) Push the injector control rack all the way In. Place the follower spring (6) on the injector body (8).
(25) Place the stop pin (7) on the injector body so that the follower spring rests on the narrow flange of the
(26) Aline the slot in the follower (4) with the stop pin hole in the injector body.
(27) Aline the flat side of the plunger with the slot in the follower.
(28) Insert the free end of the plunger into the Injector body top. The plunger follower assembly should go all
the way into the body until the follower rests on top of the spring. Ensure none of the components are
rotated in this process. Do not force the plunger. Withdraw and aline If required.
(29) Press down on the follower, and at the same time, press the stop pin (7) into the hole in the body. When
in place the spring will hold the stop pin in position.
(30) Release the follower slowly to check everything is held in place correctly.
(31) Place the Injector in the concentricity gage J5119 and adjust dial indicator to zero.