FIRE PUMP - Continued
(12) Slide tab waster (30) onto pump shaft (38) with the curve of the base facing upwards. Make sure the single
center tab on tab washer is fully engaged with pump shaft groove.
(13) Slide locknut (29) down pump shaft (38). Make sure chamfered side of locknut faces tab washer (30).
Thread locknut onto pump shaft threads, handtight.
(14) Position pump shaft support fixture (3, Appendix D) horizontally in a vise. Lower pump shaft into the pump
shaft support fixture, engaging the impeller splines with the splines in the tool.
(15) Using a spanner wrench tighten locknut (29) firmly. Tap one lock tab on the tab washer (30) into groove on
(16) Remove socket screw (32) from revolution counter gear (33). Apply threadlock liquid (item 29, Appendix B)
to socket screw. Install into revolution counter gear and tighten firmly. Make sure socket screw enters the
pump shaft groove.
(17) Remove gaskets (34 and 39) from pump shaft. Apply gasket eliminator to both sides of each gasket.
(18) Slide gaskets (34 and 39) into position on bearing mount (35). Make sure gaskets do not cover the oil drain
area on the facing of the bearing mount.
(19) Carefully slide pump shaft assembly into bearing housing (26) from the impeller end. Make sure the oil drain
cut away on the bearing mount (35) is alined with three oil drain holes located in the bottom of the bearing
(20) Apply a thin coating of gear oil (item 15, Appendix B) to the oil seal face of the pump shaft (38).
(21) Install new seal (40) into seal housing (43). Make sure the seal lip faces inwards towards the spigot in the
bearing housing (26).
(22) Slide seal housing (43) over pump shaft (38) and up to bearing mount. Make sure mounting holes are alined
with gasket (39) and bearing mount (35).
(23) Secure the seal housing (43) to the bearing housing (26) using four capscrews (42) and new tab washers
(41). Tighten four capscrews to 24 ft lb (33 Nm). Make sure tab washer contacts the outer rim of the seal
housing and a flat on the capscrew heads.
(24) Apply grease (item 16, Appendix B) to pump shaft bearing seat and to the inner diameter of the bearing (23).
(25) Fit bearing (23) onto bearing installing tool (5, Appendix D), and slide onto pump shaft (38). Make sure
narrow face of bearing is installed first.
(26) Next install tab washer (22) and locknut (21) and tighten using a spanner wrench. It will be necessary to
attach pump shaft support fixture (3, Appendix D) to pump shaft impeller end to prevent shaft rotation while
tightening locknut (21). Remove locknut, washer, and bearing installing tool (5, Appendix D) from pump shaft
once bearing (23) is installed.