FIRE PUMP - Continued
(2) After washing, dry all components using compressed air. Do not allow bearings to spin while drying with
(3) Inspect bearing housing for cracks, stripped threads, or warped mating surfaces.
(4) Inspect bearings as detailed in para. 2-7. If tapered bearing is damaged, replace the bearing and outer race
as a pair.
(5) Examine pump shaft for nicks, scratches, damaged splines, damaged threads or corrosion.
(6) Examine bearing mount and seal housings for cracks, corrosion or warped mating surfaces.
(7) Replace all gaskets and seals.
(8) Inspect locknuts for damaged threads.
Inspect tab washer for missing tabs or wear.
(10) Inspect fulcrum pin bushings and fulcrum pin for wear or corrosion.
(11) Evidence of damage of any kind is cause for rejection. Replace components or assembly as required.
Damage to shaft sealing surfaces will warrant replacement of pump shaft. Do not scratch or mark sealing
(1) To install bearing (36) onto shaft (38), position thread protector tool (4, Appendix D) onto impeller end of
pump shaft (38).
(2) Hold the pump shaft vertically, splined end downwards, resting on the thread protector tool (4, Appendix D).
(3) Make sure bearing surface is clean, otherwise bearing may not fit squarely on shaft. Apply a light coating of
grease (item 16, Appendix B) to the bearing surface.
(4) Slide the bearing (36) down the pump shaft (38) with its narrow face upmost. Using bearing installing tool (8,
Appendix D), tap top of tool with hammer until beating is fully seated against pump shaft shoulder. Remove
bearing installing tool.
(5) If bearing (36) was replaced, it will be necessary to press outer race from bearing mount (35) and replace
If bearing (23) requires replacement, remove bearing outer race from bearing housing (26) and replace with
new outer race.
(7) Slide bearing mount (35) and new gaskets (34 and 39), one on each side, onto pump shaft (38). Allow
bearing mount to rest on bearing (36). Make sure gaskets do not cover the oil drain area on the facing of the
bearing mount. If necessary, cut a small section of the gasket away.