FIRE PUMP - Continued
(12) Remove the extractor tool assembly (1, Appendix D) and the thread protector tool (4, Appendix D).
(13) Pull the shaft assembly (38) from the bearing housing (26), and remove tapered roller bearing (23) from the
opposite end of bearing housing. Make sure shaft is square to bearing housing during removal. Use care so
as not to damage oil finger (30) and revolution counter gear (33) during shaft removal.
(14) Install the pump shaft support fixture (3, Appendix D) horizontally in a vise. Lower the shaft into the pump
shaft support fixture engaging the splines on the shaft with the splines in the tool.
(15) Straighten the tab washer (30). Remove locknut (29), tab washer (30) and oil finger (31) from pump shaft
(16) Loosen the setscrew (32) from the revolution counter gear flange, and slide revolution counter gear (33) from
(17) Separate the front seal housing (43) from the front bearing mount (35). Avoid burrs or scratches to either
face during separation. Remove burrs or scratches using emery cloth (item 16, Appendix B) prior to
(18) Lift the front bearing mount (35) from shaft (38).
(19) Remove pump shaft from pump shaft support fixture (3, Appendix D).
(20) To remove bearing (36), first install thread protector tool (4, Appendix D) on the drive flange end of the pump
shaft (38). Position pump shaft vertically allowing thread protector tool to rest on flat bench top.
(21) While supporting pump shaft vertically, position bearing removing tool (2, Appendix D) over the shaft. Make
sure bearing removing tool rests on inner race of bearing.
Damage to shaft sealing surfaces will warrant replacement of pump shaft. Do not scratch or mark sealing
(22) Carefully but firmly tap the bearing removal tool (2, Appendix D) until the bearing (36) is free of shaft (38).
Dry cleaning solvent P-D-680 (safety or Stoddards solvent) is potentially dangerous. Avoid repeated and
prolonged breathing of vapors and skin contact with the liquid. Do not use near open flame, arcing
equipment or other ignition sources. Always wear eye protection and protective clothing. The flash point
of P-D-680 is 100 to 138 deg. F (30 to 59 deg. C).