FIRE PUMP - Continued
(22) Press bearing (17) onto primer shaft. Bearing may be cooled in freezer prior to bearing installation.
(23) Install assembled primer shaft (19) into primer housing (37). Enter primer housing from fiber driving wheel
end. Use care so as not to damage seal (25).
(24) Slide bearing spacer (16) onto primer shaft (19) until it contacts inner race of bearing (17).
(25) Install bearing location ring (15) into primer bearing housing (37). Make sure it is fully seated in housing.
(26) Install bearing (14) onto primer shaft (19) and into primer bearing housing (37). During installation of bearing,
exert force on both the inner and outer race to prevent bearing damage.
(27) Install circlip (13) into primer bearing housing (37).
(28) Install key (20) into primer shaft (19).
(29) Aline impeller (26) with key (20) and slide onto primer shaft (19).
(30) Install capscrew (29) and flat washer (28) to retain impeller (26). Tighten capscrew to 12 ft lb (16 Nm).
(31) Spin impeller and make sure shaft rotates freely and quietly.
(32) If suction and delivery cover (30) or cover plate (31) was replaced it is necessary to apply gasket eliminator
(item 14, Appendix B) to the mating surface. Fasten cover plate on suction and delivery cover using self-
locking screws (33) and washers (32). Torque screws to 12 ft lb (16 Nm).
(33) Lay primer body (36) so studs (34) point upwards. Install gasket (35), suction and delivery cover (30), gasket
(27), and primer bearing housing (37) onto studs. Secure parts using flat washers (23), lockwashers (22), and
nuts (21). Torque nuts evenly to 24 ft lb (33 Nm).
(34) If repaired, install non-return valve as detailed in para. 2-13.9 following.
(35) Install fiber driving wheel as detailed in para. 2-13.8 following.
(36) Position water ring primer assembly (12) on bearing housing (9).
(37) Apply antiseize compound (item 3, Appendix B) to fulcrum pin (8). Aline fulcrum pin holes, then slide fulcrum
pin into bearing housing. Ensure the locking plate groove is on the pulley end of pump, and the fulcrum pin Is
installed in a different position as was originally so that the setscrews (11) bear on a different part of the shaft.
(38) Lock fulcrum pin (8) to bearing housing (9) using locking plate (7), capscrew (5) and lockwasher (6). Torque
capscrew to 24 ft lb (33 Nm).
(39) Move water ring primer (12) on fulcrum pin (8) until both sides of fiber wheel bear equally on the sides of the
pump driving pulley groove.