4-32. FRONT AXLE - Continued
4-32.3 Hub Assembly - Continued
(14) Install assembled hub (8) and drum (9) on
spindle. Install outer bearing cone (7).
(15) Install wheel bearing adjusting nut (6).
Tighten nut to seat the bearings. Rotate
drum while tightening nut. After nut is
seated firmly against bearing cone, back off
until the slot in the adjusting nut aligns with
slot (or groove) in axle spindle.
Bearing adjustment is important.
The nut should be tight enough to
eliminate hub end play and create
a slight drag. This drag should
produce at least a 5 lb (22 Nm)
pull at wheel mounting studs. If
drag is incorrect, reset adjusting
(16) After bearing adjustment is correct, install
nut lock (13) in the adjusting nut slot.
Install capscrew and lockwasher in the nut
to hold lock and adjusting nut in position.
(17) Pack groove in hub cap with grease (Item
16, Appendix E) (1/2 in. thick layer).
(18) Using a soft-nosed hammer, install hub cap
(3). Apply antiseize compound (Item 23,
Appendix E) to thread of hub studs and
lockwashers (2). Tighten nuts to 220 ft lb
Disassemble and replace worn or