4-32. FRONT AXLE - Continued
Tie rod and tie rod ends should be replaced as individual components, ie., replacement of
one component does not demand replacement of any other components.
Left tie rod end has left-hand thread and right tie rod end has right-hand thread.
The following instructions are applicable to r eplacement of either left or right end.
(1) Remove cotter pin (1), castellated nut (2) and washer (3).
(2) Separate tie rod end (4) from wheel end arm.
(3) Loosen capscrews(5) Unscrew and remove tie rod end from tie rod (6).
(4) To replace the tie rod, remove both tie rod ends as detailed in steps 1 thru 3 above.
(5) When replacing either tie rod end, also replace clamping hardware, (5, 7, and 8), and grease nipple (9).
(6) When assembling tie rod be sure to screw tie rod ends into each tie rod approximately the same number of
(7) Install tie rod ends (4) on wheel end arm using washer (3) and castellated nut (2). Tighten nut to 450 ft lb
(615 Nm). Install and secure cotter pin (1).
(8) Lubricate tie rod ends using grease (item 16, Appendix E).
(9) Whenever tie rod or tie rod ends are replaced or their relationship is disturbed, adjust front wheel toe-in as
detailed in ADJUSTMENT preceding.