4-31. FRONT AND REAR SUSPENSION - Continued
12-4-31.1 Shock Absorbers - Continued
(3) Slide shock washer (2) onto bolt, cup face away from bolt head. Slide shock absorber (6) onto bolt
followed by second shock washer (4), cup face toward bolt head.
Apply five drops of threadlock liquid (item 29, Appendix E) to locknut and install locknut fingertight.
(5) If truck is supported by maintenance trestles under the frame, raise jack under axle until spring
takes almost all weight of vehicle.
(6) Insert lightly oiled spring bushing (12) into the spring. Use gear oil (item 15, Appendix E). A puller
may be required to install. Use puller with land diameter of 1 in. (2.5 cm) to push spring bushing into
(7) Install lower retaining bolt (15) into spring bushing (Head outboard on front axle, head inboard
on rear axle ).
(8) Slide shock spacer (11) followed by shock washer (10) onto bolt (Washer to have cup face away
from bolt head).
Install lightly oiled bushing (9) in lower end of shock absorber.
Pull down lower end of shock absorber and slide bolt (13) through shock absorber lower bushing (9).
(11) Slide shock washer (8) onto bolt, cup face toward bolt head. Apply five drops of threadlock liquid
(item 29, Appendix E) to locknut and Install locknut.
Tighten both upper and lower shock-absorber locknuts to 150 ft lb (205 Nm).
Replace wheel(s) on axle and lower vehicle, see para. 4- 29.1.