4-30. REAR AXLE - Continued
Shim washers (15) and (12) are identical except for the thickness. Normally washer (15)
should be the thickest.
(11) Install shim washer (15) and slack adjuster (14). Be sure adjustment screw on side of slack
adjuster is facing away from air chamber.
(12) Install appropriate shim washers (12) (refer to INSPECTION step 7, if necessary, to determine
shim requirement). Install lock ring (11).
(13) Attach slack adjuster to brake chamber clevis using clevis pin (10) and cotter pin (9). If advanced
too far depress locking sleeve on side of slack adjuster and turn slack adjuster toward brake
chamber clevis to line up clevis pin holes.
(14) Lubricate camshaft via grease nipple (25) with grease (item 16, Appendix E). Do not over-lubricate
as this will damage the seals
(15) Install wheel hub and brake drum, as detailed in para. 4-30.3, and axle shaft, as detailed in
para. 4-30.2. Adjust brake as outlined in ADJUSTMENT procedures following.
(16) Be sure axle is refilled with oil, see lube order LO 5-4210-220-12, and parking brake is
reapplied, see ADJUSTMENT step 16, when installation and adjustment of the brake is complete.