4-30 REAR AXLE - Continued
4-30.4 Brake Assembly - Continued
If end play is outside these limits adjust by
removing/installing shim washers between
slack adjuster and lock ring.
Shim washers are available in two
thicknesses, 0.030 in. (0.76 mm)
and 0.060 in. (1.52 mm).
(12) Check bushing surfaces are smooth. If
rough, replace bushings and oils seals.
Bushings can be removed with a suitable
puller. For installation see INSTALLATION
step 1 following.
(13) Mount a suitable dial indicator with the
plunger referencing the cam face at 90 deg.
to cam bearing journal.
(14) Set indicator dial to zero and move cam
head radially up and down. Note maximum
(15) Mount dial indicator at slack adjuster end of
camshaft and repeat step 14.
(16) If measured play exceeds 0.020 in. (0.51
mm) at either end of camshaft, replace
bushings in air chamber bracket.
(17) With new bushings installed in air chamber
bracket, recheck radial play as above. If
radial play still exceeds 0.020 in. (0.51
mm), replace camshaft. Replace oil seals.
(18) Check camshaft oil seals for wear and
damage. If oil seal lips are distorted or
damaged, replace oil seals.
(19) Inspect slack adjuster for damage to body,
splines, and clevis pin bushings. If any
serious defects are noticed, replace slack
(20) Depress slack adjuster locking sleeve and
turn adjuster nut E with a wrench at least
one turn clockwise and counterclockwise. If
binding is observed, replace slack adjuster.