4-28. ENGINE - Continued
4-28.3 Air Compressor - Continued
f. Cylinder Block Removal
(1) Remove the six capscrews (1) that retain the cylinder block
(2) to the crankcase (3).
(2) Using a soft faced hammer, gently tap the cylinder block (2)
to loosen it from the crankcase (3).
(3) Carefully lift cylinder block from crankcase. Take care not to
damage the pistons (4).
(4) Remove and discard cylinder block gasket (5).
g. Cover Plate Removal
(1) Remove the six capscrews (6) and lockwashers (7) that
retain the cover plate (8) to the crankcase (3).
(2) Remove gasket (9) and discard.
h. Pistons and Connecting Rods Removal
(1) Position crankcase on its side to expose connecting rod
(2) Mark the connecting rod caps to ensure that they are
returned to the same connecting rods from which they are
(3) Rotate crankshaft so that one connecting rod is at the bottom
of its stroke. Using a 12 point socket, remove the connecting
rod capscrews (3).
(4) Lift the piston and connecting rod through the top of the
crankcase. Install connecting rod cap (2) onto connecting
rod (4) and install connecting rod capscrews (3) fingertight.
(5) Repeat steps 3, and 4 on the remaining connecting rod
To disassemble piston/connecting rod assemblies carry
out steps 6 thru 10.
(6) Remove snap rings (6) from piston (5).