4-17. PUMP DRIVE AND PTO - Continued
4-17.1 Power Take Off Unit - Continued
(2) Remove old gasket material using a putty knife and wire brush. Extra care should be taken to eliminate the
possibility of gasket material entering the torque converter housing.
Damage to the transmission and
the PTO assembly can result from
insufficient or excessive backlash.
Carefully check and adjust PTO
(1) Hold drive gear (11) stationary. If
transmission is mounted on the truck, the
drive gear is held stationary by the engine
(2) Attach dial indicator to torque converter
housing in a position allowing PTO side-
gear backlash to be measured.
(3) Move PTO side gear (12) in both
directions. Observe backlash and record as
(4) Support PTO housing in a vise.
(5) Attach dial indicator to PTO housing
allowing PTO drive-gear backlash to be
(6) Hold PTO output shaft (14) while moving
PTO drive-gear (13) in both directions.
(7) Make sure both dowel pins are in position in
the torque converter housing.
(8) Install a 0.010 in. (0.25 mm) gasket on the
The PTO is heavy and if dropped
could result in personal injury.
Be sure to provide proper support
during installation of the PTO.
(9) Lift PTO into position and install onto torque