4-4. INTRODUCTION - Continued
Auxiliary Power Unit Continued
Inspect fuel line connections for evidence of leakage. Tighten, or remake joints as required.
Auxiliary Power Unit Test
Start auxiliary power unit (Refer to para. 2-12). (If unit falls to start due to discharged main batteries, start
Start winterization system and check operation of the circulating pump, compartment heaters and
Allow to run for 20 minutes and then stop winterization heater.
Check for any leaks in the winterization system and repair as required. Stop APU when inspection
Main Engine Test
Start main engine (Refer to para. 2-10).
When engine is running, check.
- oil pressure builds up to at least 20 psi (140 kPa), warning lamp extinguishes.
- air pressure warning lamps extinguish (primary and secondary).
- engine air filter gage remains in safety zone.
- engine water temperature warning lamp extinguishes.
- battery voltage and current (amps) remain in safety zone.
- transmission oil temperature lamp extinguishes.
Check operation of all lamps, beacons.
- tall park and head lights (high beam and low beam)
- marker lights
- panel lights
- dome lights
- rear beacon lights
- compartment lights
- hose pick-up lights
- engine compartment lights
- dash lights
Replace any lamps that have failed.
Check operation of rear buzzer, main siren, and PA system.
Check operation of radiator shutter manual override. When engine is not running, shutter is closed. When
engine is started, shutter closes and fan freewheels. When engine warms up, fan lock ups and shutter opens
Allow engine to warm up to 170-195 deg. F (75-90 deg. C).